Wikipedia Critique

Casta

I reviewed an article on casta, the Spanish term for the hierarchical system used to keep track of “blood purity.” This page is part of a series on the history of New Spain and has no banner. Most of the article was relevant, but I was distracted by the solid one-third of the article dedicated to casta paintings. While tangentially related, I believe that casta paintings should have been its own article as that section didn’t add much of note to the rest of the page. Not everyone on the talk page seems to share my opinion, however, because there’s a call to flesh it out. But the same person also goes on to say that it could eventually be its own article. The other conversations on the talk page are minimal. A few things were removed due to lack of sourcing; apparently at one point a group of students from the Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey replaced the entire article, only to have it all switched back. The tone didn’t strike me as being particularly biased one way or the other. The links I checked all worked, and most led to peer reviewed journals. Looking over the references, peer reviewed journals seem to make up the bulk of the section, with additional references taken from a handful of books or dictionaries from a variety of writers. All the links I checked backed up what was in the article.

Overall, the article seemed well-researched, if a little too ambitious. The history of the sistema de castas was covered thoroughly, the long list of terms used within the system were explained, and the references section was substantial. The biggest issue was that the article began to get off track toward the end and let the discussion of casta paintings get out of control.